Research Summaries: 2006 to 2010
A series of documents from What About The Children? summarising professional papers and research findings, available to download as PDF files.
- Stress, cortisol and well-being of caregivers and children in home-based child care: a case for differential susceptibility (2010)
M.G. Groeneveld, H.J. Vermeer, M.H. van IJzendoorn & M. Linting
Child: care, health and development (2010) 38(2), 251-260
- Child care setting affects salivary cortisol and antibody secretion in young children (2010)
Sarah Enos Watamura, Christopher L. Coe, Mark L. Laudenslager & Steven S. Robertson
Psychoneuroendocrinology (2010) 35, 1156-1166
- Mother and Stranger: An Electrophysiological Study of Voice Processing in Newborns (2010)
Beauchemin, M., González-Frankenberger, B., Tremblay, J., Vannasing, P., Martínez-Montes, E., Belin, P., Béland, R., Francoeur, D., Carceller, A-M., Wallois, F. and Lassonde, M.
Cerebral Cortex (2010) published online ahead of print 13 December, 2010
- Stress-Asthma Relationship in Children (2010)
Lecture given by Dr Seja Sandberg, University College London at the International Association for the Study of Attachment (IASA) conference held at St John’s College, Cambridge in August 2010
(The web address for this presentation is cited at the end of this summary)
- Association Between Plasma IL-6 Response to Acute Stress and Early-life Adversity in Healthy Adults (2010)
Carpenter, LL, Gawuga, C.E., Tyrks, A.R., Lee, J.K., Anderson, G.M. and Price, L.H.
Neuropsychopharmacology (2010), 35, 2617-2623
- Mother's Affection at Eight Months Predicts Emotional Distress in Adulthood (2010)
Maselko, J., Kubzansky, L., Lipsitt, L. and Buka, S.L.J
Epidemiol Community Health 26 July, 2010; doi:10.1136/jech.2009.097873
- Does Breastfeeding Protect Against Substantiated Child Abuse and Neglect? A 15-Year Cohort Study (2010)
Lane Strathearn, Abdullah A. Mamun, Jake M. Najman and Michael J. O’Callaghan
Pediatrics 2009 123: 483-493
- The Differential Impacts of Early Physical and Sexual Abuse and Internalizing Problems on Daytime Cortisol Rhythm in School-Aged Children (2010)
Cicchetti, D., Rogosch, F.A., Gunnar, M.R. and Toth, S.L.
Child Development (2010) 81(1): 252-269
- Camila Batmanghelidjh presentation What About The Children? conference 2009 (2009)
- Circuits and Circumstances: The Neurobiological Consequences of Early Relationship Experiences and How They Shape Later Behaviour (2009)
Journal of Child Psychotherapy vol.27, no.3, 2001 237-255
- Obesity in Infants A summary of three recent papers (2008)
- Kim, J., Peterson, K.E. (2008) Association of infant child care with infant feeding practices and weight gain among US infants. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 162(7), 627-633
- Hawkins, S.S. et al. (2008) Maternal employment and early childhood overweight: findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study. International Journal of Obesity, 32, 30-38
- Stettler, N. (2007) Nature and strength of epidemiological evidence for origins of childhood and adult obesity in the first year of life. International Journal of Obesity, 31, 1035-1043
- Young Infants' Neural Processing of Objects is Affected by Eye Gaze Direction and Emotional Expression (2008)
Hoehl, S., Wiese, L., Striano, T. (2008)
PLoS ONE 3(6), 1-6 (Public Library of Science)
- Respiratory Health in Pre-School Children (2007)
A summary by Dr Clare Sansom for What About the Children? of three recent papers which all conclude that incidence of both simple respiratory infection and complications is increased in infants and children attending childcare facilities.
- Cortisol and the Early Years (2007)
A paper written for What About The Children? by Robin Balbernie, consultant child psychotherapist.
- The Need for Secondary Attachment Figures in Childcare (2007)
Examining the causes of stress in babies and toddlers in group childcare. A paper by Sir Richard Bowlby, reproduced with permisison
- Some Recent Research Findings (2006)
Chris Ponsford, Development Director of What About The Children?, summarises some recent reports