Research Summaries: 2017 to 2020
We have summarised some key academic papers and research findings from across the disciplines - including neuroscience, psychology and biology – to view on-line or download:
Childcare outside the family for the under-threes: cause for concern?
Pereira Gray, D., Dean, D. & Dean, P.M.
Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine (2020) 113(4) 140-142
Science versus society: is childcare for the under threes a taboo subject?
Pereira Gray D., Dean D., Dineen M. & Dean P.
Epigenomics (2020),10. 2217/epi-2020-0141 ISSN 1750-1911 Future medicine
Involvement of circulating factors in the transmission of paternal experiences through the germline.
Van Steenwyk, G., Gapp, K., Jawaid, A., Germain, P.L., Manuella, F., Tanwar, D.K., Zamboni, N., Gaur, N., Efimova, A., Thumfart, K.M., Miska, E.A. and Mansuy, I.M. (2020), EMBO J. 39(23), e104579.
The Leeds Infant Mental Health Service: Early Relationships Matter (2020).
Hunter, R, Glazebrook K, Ranger S
Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology https://doi.org/10.1080/02646838.2020.1828842
Parents’ experiences of emotional closeness to their infants in the neonatal unit: A meta-ethnography.
Thomson, G., Flacking, R., George, K., Feeley, N., Haslund-Thomsen, H., De Coen, K.., Schmied, V., Provenzi, L. & Rowe, J.
Early Human Development (2020) 149 105155 Elsevier
Becoming a mother entails anatomical changes in the ventral striatum of the human brain that facilitate its responsiveness to offspring cues
Hoekzema E, Tamnes CK, Berns P, Barba-Müller E, Pozzobon C, Picado M, Lucco F, Martínez-García M, Desco M, Ballesteros A, Crone EA, Vilarroya O and Carmona S (2020), Psychoneuroendocrinology 112, 104507
Familiar Songs Reduce Infant Distress
Cirelli LK and Trehub SE (2020), Developmental Psychology 56(5) 861–868
Timing of Early-Life Stress and Development of Brain-Related Capacities
Hambrick, E. P., Brawner T. W. and Perry, B.D.
Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience (2019), 13, 6 August https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2019.00183
Maternal caregiving and DNA methylation in human infants and children: Systematic review
Provenzi L, Brambilla M, di Minico G S, Montirosso R and Borgatti R
Genes, Brain and Behavior Volume19, Issue3, March 2020 19:e12616. DOI:10.1111/gbb.12616
Neglect, HPA Axis Reactivity, and Development (2019) A review paper
Reilly E.B. & Gunnar M.R.
International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 78, (November), 100-108
The Global Challenge of the neglect of children
Kobulsky, J.M., Dubowitz, H. and Xu, Y.
Child Abuse & Neglect (2019) online 2020
Unresolved trauma and reorganization in mothers: Attachment and neuroscience perspectives
Iyengar U, Rajhans P, Fonagy P, Strathearn L and Kim S. (2019)
Frontiers in Psychology 10(10), doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00110
The cost of love: financial consequences of insecure attachment in antisocial youth
Christian J. Bachmann, Jennifer Beecham, Thomas G. O’Connor, Adam Scott, Jackie Briskman, and Stephen Scott
Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 60 (12), p 1343-50: November 2019
Maternal speech shapes the cerebral frontotemporal network in neonates: a hemodynamic functional connectivity study
Uchida-Ota M, Arimitsu T, Tsuzuki D, Dan I, Ikeda K, Takahashi T and Minagawa Y. (2019)
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2019.100701
Chronic Trauma Impairs the Neural Basis of Empathy in Mothers: Relations to Parenting and Children’s Empathic Abilities.
Levy, J., Yirmiya, K., Goldstein, A. and Feldman, R.
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience (2019) online May 2019 100658
Altered development of hippocampus-dependent associated learning following early-life adversity.
Lambert H. K., Peverill M., Sambrook K. A., Rosen M. L., Sheridan M. A., & McLaughlin K. A.
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 38 (August) (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.den.2019.100666
THE VITAL ROLE OF OXYTOCIN IN INFANT EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Summaries of three related research papers
- Child’s oxytocin response to mother-child interaction: The contribution of child genetics and maternal behaviour
Baião R., Fearon P., Belsky J., Baptista J., Carneiro A., Pinto R., Nogueira M., Oliveir C., Soares I. and Mesquita A.R.
Psychoneuroendocrinology 102: 79–83 (2019)
- Genetic and peripheral markers of the oxytocin system and parental care jointly support the cross-generational transmission of bonding across three generations
Fujiwara T., Weisman O., Ochi M., Shirai K., Matsumoto K., Noguchi E. and Feldman R.
- Epigenetic modification of the oxytocin receptor gene is associated with emotion processing in the infant brain
Krol K.M., Puglia M.H., Morris J.P., Connelly J.J. and Grossmann T. (2019)
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 37:100648
Exploring the neural basis for paternal protection: an investigation of the neural response to infants in danger
Anna E. van 't Veer, Sandra Thijssen, Jurriaan Witteman, Marinus H. van IJzendoorn, and Marian J. Bakermans-Kranenburg
Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 2019, Vol 14, issue 4, pages 447–457
Non-parental childcare during non-standard hours: Does participation influence child well-being?
Casey H. Boyd-Swan
Labour Economics57 (2019) 85-101
Gender-bias in the sensory representation of infant cry
Devaraju, D.S., Gnanateja, G.N., Kumar, U.A. and Maruthy, S. (2018)
Neuroscience Letters678: 138–143
Rooming-in Reduces Salivary Cortisol Level of Newborn
De Bernardo, G., Riccitelli, M., Giordano, M., Proietti, F., Sordino, D., Longini, M., Buonocore, G. and Perrone, S. (2018)
Mediators of Inflammation, 2845352
- Why Choo-Choo is Better than Train: The Role of Register-Specific Words in Early Vocabulary Growth
Ota M, Davies-Jenkins N, Skarabela B
Cognitive Science (2018) 1-26
- Attachment security buffers the HPA axis of toddlers growing up in poverty or near poverty: Assessment during paediatric well-child exams with inoculations.
Anna B. Johnson, Shanna B. Mliner, Carrie E. Depasquale, Michael Troy, Megan R. Gunnar
Psychoneuroendocrinology95 (2018) 120–127
- Differentially Methylated Genes in Saliva are linked to Childhood Stress
Papale, L.A., Seltzer, L.J., Madrid, A., Pollak, S.D. and Alisch. R.S. (2018)
- Technoference: longitudinal associations between parent technology use, parenting stress, and child behaviour problems
B.T. McDaniel and J. S. Radesky.
Pediatric Research 13th June 2018.
- Neurohormones and temperament interact during infant development
Jones, N.A. and Sloan, A. (2018)
Philos Trans R. Soc Lond B 373 (1744): 20170159
- Lost connections: Oxytocin and the neural, physiological and behavioural consequences of disrupted relationships
Pohl, T.T., Young, L.J. & Bosch, O.J.
Int. J. Psychophysiology 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2017.12.011
- Mothers’ and Fathers’ Sensitivity With Their Two Children: A Longitudinal Study From Infancy to Early Childhood
Elizabeth T. Hallers-Haalboom, Marleen G. Groeneveld, Shiela R. van Berkel, Joyce J. Endendijk, Lotte D. van der Pol,
Mariëlle Linting, Marian J. Bakermans-Kranenburg and Judi Mesman
Developmental Psychology 2017. 53 (5), 860-872
- Association between maternal childhood trauma and offspring psychopathology: mediation analysis from the ALSPAC cohort
Plant, D.T., Jones, F.W., Pariante, C.M. and Pawlby, S.
British Journal of Psychiatry (2017), 211, 144-150
- Disorganized attachment in infancy: a review of the phenomenon and its implications for clinicians and policy-makers
Pehr Granqvist, L. Alan Sroufe, Mary Dozier, Erik Hesse, Miriam Steele, Marinus van Ijzendoorn, Judith Solomon, Carlo Schuengel, Pasco Fearon, Marian Bakermans-Kranenburg, Howard Steele, Jude Cassidy, and 32 other authors
Attachment and Human Development, 2017 vol 19, No 6, 534-558
- The Future of Preschool Prevention, Assessment and Intervention
Hudziak J, Archangeli C
Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics, North America 26 (2017) 611-624
- Speaker gaze increases information coupling between infant and adult brains. (2017)
Leong, V., Byrne, E., Clackson, K., Georgieva, S., Lam, S., and Wass, S.
PNAS, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1702493114
- All our Sons: The Developmental Neurobiology and Neuroendocrinology of Boys at Risk (2017)
Allan N. Schore
Infant Mental Health Journal 2017Jan: 38 (1), 15-52 DOI: 10.1002/imhj.21616
- Serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) polymorphism and susceptibility to a home visiting maternal-infant attachment intervention delivered by community health workers in South Africa: Reanalysis of a randomized controlled trial (2017)
Morgan, B., Kumsta, R., Fearon, P., Moser, D., Skeen, S., Cooper, P., Murray, L., Moran, G. and Tomlinson, M.
PLoS Medicine DOI:10.1371/journal.pmed.1002237
Serotonin transporter gene (SLC6A4) polymorphism and susceptibility to a home visiting maternal-infant attachment intervention delivered by community health workers in South Africa: Reanalysis of a randomized controlled trial
- Impact of early personal-history characteristics on the Pace of Ageing: implications for clinical trials of therapies to slow aging and expand healthspan (2017)
Belsky, D.W., Caspi, A., Cohen, H.J., Kraus, W.E., Ramrakha, S., Poulton, R. & Mofitt, T.E.
Aging Cell 1-8 Doi: 10.1111/acel.12591
- Elevated cortisol levels in Norwegian toddlers in childcare (2017)
Drugli, M.B., Solheim, E., Lydersen, S., Moe, V., Smith, L., Berg-Nielsen, T.S.
Early Child Development and Care